Minutes February 15, 2012

The West Bend Community Association

Minutes from February 15, 2012

IndianRoadCrescentPublic School

 Chair: Tim Noronha     Minutes: Des McComish

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m.

In Attendance: Tim, Des, John Suline, Maurice, Harry, Alies, Johanne, Eugene, David Coffey, Ike Zimbel.

1.     Approval of November Minutes

Johanne moved to approve, seconded by Alies.

2.     Discussion of items with Michael Butler, assistant to Councillor Gord Perks who was ill and unable to attend.

Lots of City budget cuts; four year deal secured with union local 416 outside workers;

  • Transit – council passed motion to restore Transit City but it’s all in flux still.
  • Toronto Community Housing to sell off as many as 753 houses (the City took over Metro Housing from the Province). We discussed the pros & cons of selling these rental properties.

We asked Michael to raise the issue of a traffic study at the new Riocan retail development at St Clair & Keele – there are concerns re increased congestion.

  • We asked Michael to find out what is happening with the Chairtex building (just north of Shoppers Drugmart).
  • John asked about any follow up re landscaping at the Freshco site.
  • We discussed the proposal by Metrolinx to build a noise barrier wall along Dundas St and noted that we have asked Metrolinx to present to us at an upcoming meeting.

3.     Membership and recruitment

 We need to edit the redesigned membership application form and should embed it on the new website. We’ll email the form to current TWBCA members and ask them to sign up interested neighbours.

  • Alies suggested canvassing local businesses for merchant coupons to include in a package to be given to new residents and potential members.
  • Tim has the list (from Mary Joe Leddy) of the new homeowners in our catchment area.

 4.     TWBCA website

Not much progress on improving the website although WordPress is the best platform. It was suggested that we ask students at Ryerson or even Humberside Collegiate to work on improving the site as a school project – Maurice undertook to make this contact.

  • A suggestion was made that we allow advertising on the site. Harry offered to work on the website later in the year as currently his company is just too busy with paying projects.
  • Johanne offered to gather BIA data for a revamped website.

5.     Treasurer’s report

Tim provided an updated report and copy of the BMO bank statement – there is $1,149.56 in the account. We have over 20 paid up members for the current membership year (September 2011 to August 2012) and there are about 163 recipients on our email list.

The meeting was adjourned at 9.00 pm

Moved: Johanne               Seconded: Alies